Over the years we have written a number of articles on the scythe and related topics. If you have a question that is not addressed in our articles or web site feel free to send us an email.
- A Quick Start Guide to the Scythe.
- Instructions: the instructions we send out with our outfits.
- Sharpening & Honing: Detailed notes on stones.
- Blade Selection Guide: Information and pointers on choosing the right blade.
- Snath Selection: A brief guide on snaths and how to choose the right snath for you.
- Snath Assembly: Instructions for our snaths with some general advice, (same as instructions, above.
- Tips & Advice: Our list of pointers and helpful instruction.
- Why Use a Scythe: A list of the ways our customers use their scythes
- FAQ: Frequently asked questions.
- Waterproofing Your Snath: How to ensure that your snath lives a long, healthy life.
- Blade Repair: An introduction to our blade repair service and example of a successful repair.
- On Sickles: A discussion on sickle use and safety.
In The Field
- Notes on Mowing a Lawn: Tips on mowing a lawn with a scythe.
- Why We Use Maine White Ash: Strong, light, and durable, this article explores the benefits of Maine White Ash.
- The Bush Scythe: Discussion, tips, and instructions on the use of a bush blade-equipped scythe.
- A Bush Scythe in Your Woodlot?: An article discussing the virtues of using a bush blade-equipped scythe in the back 40.
- Wheat Harvesting: A video of harvesting the 2008 ScytheSupply wheat crop. More to come by way of a description of the project in late February.
- Mowing Cattails with a Scythe: Several people who have ponds overgrown with cattails have written us asking if it's possible to mow the cattails with a scythe. The answer is yes, cattails are easily mown with a scythe.
In The Press
Published articles either by us or about us:
- Scythe Supply Helps Restore a Tradition article by Edward French, originally published in the Quoddy Tides in 2008.
- The Beauty of Scythes: As appeared in the June, 2004 issue of Countryside Magazine.
- Farm Show: An article in Farm Show Magazine.
- The Scythe: An introduction by Elliot Fishbein of Scythe Supply. Appeared in Mother Earth News, Feb./Mar. 2002.
Read Testimonials from ScytheSupply customers.
back to home